Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Sorry Boys, But No Yellow Fever for Me! ;)

So I finally bit the bullet and got my yellow fever vaccine today.  I can't believe I actually did all of Central and South America and spent three weeks in the Amazon rainforest last year without getting the vaccine or taking any malaria medication!  I am living proof that sometimes there is a lot of unnecessary worry and overmedication, but by all means I am not recommending you to go unvaccinated.  Anyway, this time I needed it because it is a requirement to get into some of the African countries on my itinerary this summer.  Just so you know, most insurance companies don't cover travel medicine, and it can be a bit pricey.  I was considering waiting until I arrived in an African country where it wasn't required and getting the shot there much cheaper, but finally I decided to just get it out of the way now so it will be less headache on my trip.  And hey, it's good for ten years so I won't have to worry about it again for a while.  I did my research and found the cheapest one to be at the Pasadena Public Health Department for $127, which includes the yellow card/international certificate of vaccination that you are required to carry in your passport.  Hope that helps those of you going to a country where this might be necessary :)

No comments:

Post a Comment